Sunday, July 6, 2008

4hr. day

This will be nothing new to anyone who has a baby. It seems my days are 4hour rotations. In 4hours this is what happens. First, Noah cries because it has been 4 or more hours since he has had something to eat. So we sit down for a bite. This used to take about 20min, but since he is going longer between meals, sometimes 6 hours, he eats for 30min or more. Somewhere in between he burps and his diaper is changed. Then he eats some more. Eating is usually followed by a nap for about 30min before he wakes up and wants to look around. Sometimes you can get in his face and make him smile, but usually its staring at his angels and if you get in his way, the will just look around you. Then, if I'm lucky he will fall asleep for about 2hours and then we rinse and repeat.

So why is it that my days are in 4 hour rotations? Thats because you have to plan the next 4hours before you start. If you need to go to the store or just want to get out of the house for a few hours, its all planned around when its time for Noah to eat. For example, right now he has been asleep since about 4 and any moment he will be up ready to eat. Paul wanted us to go out but I knew that if I wake him up...he will be cranky and ready to eat. So we decided not to go. Now if we had thought about going out earlier, I could have planned it so that he wakes up we eat and then go out. But its so late and its Sunday that by the time I fed him things would be closed.

Now this is not a complaint and not by any stretch of the imagination. Life has changed. For the better but changed. Paul and I are spontaneous adventurers. We like to just decide at a moment to do something, go somewhere, see something new. With Noah its planned spontaneity. And yes i knew it would be this way. During my pregnancy if i heard it once i hear it 10,000x, "Life as you know it will change...FOREVER"! That statement was about as annoying as the questions on when I was due because I looked like I was about to bust or the questions on how well was I sleeping. Like anyone who is over 6months pregnate sleeps well. DUH

So we plan our days in 4hour stints. Its not that bad and he is defiantly worth the change in our habits and spontaneity. But some days I would just like to take a few hours to go to Starbucks, read a book, work out, eat and take a nap without looking at the clock and thinking..."Has it been 4hours yet?"

No comments: